Rhea V. Andres,
Jomell S. Quiroz,
Jenife R. Sarmiento,
Mikka P. Sinones,
Angelita A. Rodriguez
College of Pharmacy - Our Lady of Fatima University
Research Development and Innovation Center - Our Lady of Fatima University
The researchers focused on the in-vitro determination of the acaricidal activity of the lotion from the semi-purified tannins leaf extract of Terminalia catappa (Talisay) against Sarcoptes scabiei. Dried leaves of the Terminalia catappa (Talisay) were macerated for 48 hours. Extracts were subjected to phytochemical screening to determine the presence of naturally occurring compounds in the leaves of Terminalia catappa (Talisay). Microbiological test was conducted in De La Salle Araneta University Veterinary Hospital and acaricidal activity is determined by obtaining the mortality rate of the Sarcoptes mange after 24 hours treatment. Thirty (30) mites were obtained from the infected rabbits used as baseline and three trials were conducted for each concentration of experimental group and control group. Different levels of concentrations (25%, 50%, and 75%) of semi-purified tannins of Terminalia catappa (Talisay) extract were utilized then subjected to in-vitro test.
The results revealed that all concentrations shown acaricidal activity within 24 hours treatment but 75% Talisay extract had the greatest activity among the three it can kill all mites after 3hours. The researchers used 75% Talisay extract for the formulation of the lotion. Permethrin lotion 50mg/ml (Kwell Reformulated) used as positive control and lotion base used as negative control. The phytochemical constituents identified on the plant extract were tannins, flavonoids, saponins, sterols and glycosides. There was a significant difference between the positive control and the experimental group (25mg/ml, 50mg/ml, and 75mg/ml) lotion of the Terminalia catappa (Talisay). The positive control showed greatest acaricidal activity it has 100% mortality after 3 hours of treatment. From the different levels of the semi-purified tannins of Terminalia catappa (Talisay) lotion both 50mg/ml and 75mg/ml showed 100%mortality while 25mg/ml showed 95.56% mortality after 24 hours treatment. Still, Talisay is a promising herbal plant that has great potential for acaricidal activity. Further studies involving in vivo testing are recommended to confirm the results of this study.
General Objective: This study aimed to determine acaricidal activity of the Terminalia catappa (Talisay) lotion extract.
- Determine the acaricidal activities of 25%, 50%, and 75% purified tannins of Terminalia catappa (Talisay) extract.
- Determine the acaricidal activity of the Permethrin lotion 50mg/ml (Kwell Reformulated).
- Determine the difference between the positive and experimental group scores.
1. Abd El-Moneim , MR Afify et.al . "Acaricidal activity of different extracts from Syzygium cumini L. Skeels (Pomposia) against Tetranychus uritae Koch" Asian Pacific of Tropical Biomedicine , 359-364, 2011
2. Currie, Bart J. et.al . "Permethrin and Ivermectin for Scabies" The New England Journal of Medicine 362, 717-725, 2010
3. Kumar, Arvind et.al . "In Vitro and In Vivo Acaricidal Activty of Some Indigenous Plants Under Organized and Farmer Flock" Pharmacologyonline 3, 361-369, 2011
4. Millan , J , Casais , R , Delibes-Mateos , S . "Widespread exposure to Sarcoptes scabiei in wild European rabbits (Orytolagus cuniculus) in Spain." Vet Parasitol 183(3-4): 323-329, 2011
5. Watson, , Preedy, . Botanical Medicine in Clinical Practice 2009.
6. Walton , SF , Holt , DC , Currie , BJ , Kemp , DJ . Scabies new future for a neglected disease. Adv