Ariane Paula Franco,
Robert Paul Bongo,
John Aerold Norberte,
Justine Vincent Ramos,
College of Physical Therapy - Our Lady of Fatima University
Low back pain (LBP) is the most common and the most expensive source of compensated work related injury in modern industrialized countries. Numerous interventions have developed focusing on the pain and discomfort secondary to LBP and to improve the workers quality of life. The study's purpose is to evaluate the effect of core stabilization exercise among dressmaker with LBP and disability and determine what factor intensifies the pain and worsen the ability of the dressmaker.
The study used quantitative, quasi-experimental, multiple time series research design. The respondents were selected using non-probability purposive sampling. Outcome was based on LBP and disability (Oswestry Disability Index [ODI]), task factors (Ovako Working Posture Analyzing System [OWAS]) and workplace Perception (Visual Analog Scale[VAS]). The experimental group (EG) received a 6-week core stabilization exercise while control group received dynamic exercise. Multiple Linear Regression (MLR) was used to identify the correlates of ODI. T-test was used to evaluate the effect of core stabilization exercise between groups
MLR analysis revealed that the strongest and statistically significant predictor of ODI were task (r=: .417: p= .022).Core stabilization exercise significantly reduce ODI score (p=0.22) compared to control group.
Physical therapist can institute a core stabilization exercise program among female dressmaker potentially reducing low back pain and disability. Researchers recommended recruit male dressmaker, other profession because they might be also at risk in acquiring LBP and disability.
The study's purpose is to evaluate the effect of core stabilization exercise among dressmaker with LBP and disability and determine what factor intensifies the pain and worsen the ability of the dressmaker.
2. Akuthota, V , Nadler, S . "Core strengthening" Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 85, 86–92, 2004
3. Barber-Westin, S , Hermeto, A , Noyes, F . "A six-week neuromuscular training program for competitive junior tennis players" Journal Of Strength And Conditioning Research 24(9): 2372–2382, 2010
4. Barr, A , Barbe, M . "Pathophysiological tissue changes associated with repetitive movement: A review of the evidence" Physical Therapy 82, 173–187, 2002
6. Behm, D , Drinkwater, E , Willardson, J , Cowley, P . "The use of instability to train the core musculature" Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 35(1): 91–108, 2010
8. Bijur, P , Silver, W , Gallagher, J . "Reliability of the Visual Analog Scale for measurement of acute pain" Academic Emergency Medicine 8(12): 1153–1157, 2001
9. Biglarian, A , Seifi, B , Bakhshi, E , Mohammad, K , Rahgozar, M , Karimlou, M , Serahati, S . "Low back pain prevalence and associated factors in Iranian population: Findings from the National Health Survey" Pain Research and Treatment 2012, 1-5, 2012
10. Bongers, P , De Winter, C , Kompier, M , Hildebrandt, V . "Psychosocial factors at work and musculoskeletal disease" Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health 19, 297–312, 1993
11. Coeuret-Pellicer, M , Descatha, A , Leclerc, A . "Are tall people at higher risk of low back pain surgery? A discussion on the results of a multipurpose cohort" American College of Rheumatology 62(1): 125-127, 2009
12. David, G . "Ergonomic methods for assessing exposure to risk factors for work-related musculoskeletal disorders" Occupational Medicine 55(3): 190–199, 2005
13. Delitto , A , George, S , Van Dillien, L , Whitman, J , Sowa, P , Denninger, T , Godges, J . "Low back pain" Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports PhysicalTherapy 42(4): A1-57, 2012
14. Del Prado, L . "Risk factors to musculoskeletal disorders and arthropometric measurements of Filipino manufacturing workers" International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics 10(4): 349-359, 2004
15. deZwart, B , Broersen, J , Frings-Dresen, M , van Dijk, F . "Musculoskeletal complaints in The Netherlands in relation to age, gender and physically demanding work" International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health 70(5): 352–360, 1997
16. Dionne, C , Kunn, K , Croft, P . "Does back pain prevalence really decrease with increasing age? A systematic review" Age Ageing 35, 229-234, 2006
17. Ehrlich, G . "Low back pain" Bulletin of the World Health Organization 81(9): 671–676, 2003
19. Fairbank, J , Couper, J , Davies, J . "The Oswestry Low Back Pain Questionnaire" Physiotherapy 66, 271-273, 1980
20. Fairbank, J , Pynsent, P . "The Oswestry Disability Index" Spine 25(22): 2940-2952, 2000
21. Felson, D . "Weight and osteoarthritis" American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 63, 430-432, 1996
22. Gunning, J , Eaton, J , Ferrier, S , et.al, . Ergonomic Handbook for the Clothing Industry Toronto: Union of Needletrades, Industrial and Textile Employees, the Institute for Work & Health, and the Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers, Inc., 2001. 11-55.
24. Hawley, J . "Specificity of training adaptation: time for a rethink? " The Journal of Physiology 586(1): 1–2, 2007
25. Hawker, G , Mian, S , Kendzerska, T , French, M . "Measures of adult pain" Arthritis Care & Research 63(S11): S240 –S252, 2011
26. Ibikunle, P , Onuegbu, N . "The prevalence of work-related neck pain and low back pain among tailors in Ogbete Market Enugu State" Journal of Medical Research and Technology 6(2): 1–38, 2009
27. Khruakhorn, S , Sritipsukho, P , Siripakarn, Y , Vachalathiti, S . "Prevalence and risk factors of low back pain among the university staff" Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand 93 (Suppl. 7): S142-S148, 2010
28. Koes, B , van Tulder, M . "Diagnosis and treatment of low back pain" British Medical Journal 332(7555): 1430–1434, 2006
29. Koumantakis, G , Watson, P , Oldham, J . "Trunk muscle stabilization training plus general exercise versus general exercise only: Randomized controlled trial of patients with recurrent low back pain" Physical Therapy 85(3): 209–225, 2012
30. Law, M , Cooper, B , Strong, S , Stewart, D , Letts,, L . "The Person-Environment-Occupation Model: A transactive approach to occupational performance" Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy 63(1): 9–63, 1996
31. Leclerc, A , Gourmelen, J , Chastang, J , Plouvier , S , et al, . "Level of education and back pain in France: The role of demographic, lifestyle and physical work factors" International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health 82(5): 643-652, 2009
32. Leboeuf-Yde , C , Nielsen, J , Kyvik, K , Fejer, R , Hartvigsen, J . "Pain in the lumbar, thoracic or cervical regions: do age and gender matter? A population-based study of 34,902 Danish twins 20-71 years of age" BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 10(39): 1343-51, 2009
33. Lis, A , Black, K , Korn, H , Nordin, M . "Association between sitting and occupational LBP" European Spine Journal 16, 283–298, 2007
34. Mathur, K , Seyam, A . Color and weave relationship in woven fabrics. Advances in Modern Woven Fabrics Technology Rijeka, Croatia: InTech, 2011. 129-150.
35. MacDonald, D , Moseley, G , Hodges, P . "The lumbar multifidus: Does the evidence support clinical beliefs" Manual Therapy 11(4): 254-263, 2006
36. Marras, W , Davis , K , Maronitis, A . "A non-MVC EMG normalisation technique for the trunk musculature: Part 2. validation and use to predict spinal loads" Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 11(1): 11-18, 2001
37. Massimo, B , Francesca, R , Corrado, N , Flavia, D , Giuliano, A , Sandra, B , Lucia, B , Gian Luca, F . "An epidemiological study of low back pain in professional drivers" Journal of Sound and Vibration 298 , 514–539, 2006
38. Meena, M , Dangayach, G , Bhardwaj, A . "Occupational risk factor of workers in the handicraft industry: A short review " International Journal of Research in Engineering and Technology 1(3): 194-196, 2012
39. Malik, A , Rasul, H , Siddiqi, F . "Cross sectional survey of prevalence of low back pain in forward bend sitting posture" Rawal Medical Journal 38(3): 253-255, 2013
40. Morken, T , Riise, T , Moen, B , Hauge, S , Holien, S , Langedrag, A , Pedersen, S , Saue, I , Seljebø, G , Thoppil, V . "Low back pain and widespread pain predict sickness absence among industrial workers" BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 4(21): 1-8, 2003
41. Magee, D . Orthopedic Physical Assessment Philadelphia, PA.: Saunder’s Elsevier, 2008. ( 5th Ed)
42. Mold, J , Hamm, R , McCarthy, L . "The law of diminishing returns in clinical medicine: how much risk reduction is enough?." Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine 23(3): 371-5, 2010
43. Nunes, I , Bush, P . Work-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders Assessment and Prevention. Ergonomics – A Systems Approach 2012. 1–31.
44. Reeves, N , Narendra, K , Cholewicki, J . "Spine stability: The six blind men and the elephant" Clinical Biomechanics 22(3): 266–274, 2007
45. Panjabi, M . "Clinical spinal instability and low back pain" Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 13(4): 371–379, 2003
46. Shiri, R , Karppinen, J , Leino-Arjas, P , Solovieva, S , Viikari-Juntura, E . "The association between obesity and low back pain: A meta-analysis" American Journal of Epidemiology 171(2): 1-20, 2009
47. Shelerud, K . Medical aspects of disability: a handbook for rehabilitation professional New York: Springer, 2011.
48. Sokunbi, O , Watt, P , Moore, A . "A randomised controlled trial (RCT) on the effects of frequency of application of spinal stabilisation exercises on multifidus cross sectional area (MFCSA) in participants with chronic low back pain" Physiotherapy Singapore 11(2): 9-16, 2008
50. Taguchi, T . "Low back pain in young and middle-aged people" Journal of the Japan Medical Association 128(12): 1766-1771, 2002
51. van Dieën, J , Cholewicki, J , Radebold, A . "Trunk muscle recruitment patterns in patients with low back pain enhance the stability of the lumbar spine" Spine 28(8): 834-41, 2003
52. van Poppel, M , Koes, B , Deville, W , Smid, T , Bouter, L . "Risk factors for back pain incidence in industry: a prospective study" Pain 77, 81?86, 1998
53. Vingard, E , Mortimer, M , Wiktorin, C , et al, . "Seeking care for low back pain in the general population: a two-year follow-up study: results from the MUSIC-Norrtalje Study" Spine 27(19): 2159–2165, 2002
54. Walsh, K , Cruddas, M , Coggon, D . "Interaction of height and mechanicalloading of the spine in the development of lowback pain" Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health 17, 420-4, 1991
55. Walker, B . "The prevalence of low back pain: a systematic review of the literature from 1966 to 1998" Journal of Spinal Disorders 13(3): 205-217, 2000
56. Wright, D , Barrow, S , Fisher, A , Horsley, S , Jayson, M . "The influence of physical, psychological and behavioural factors on consultations for back pain" British Journal of Rheumatology 34, 156-61, 1995
58. Xu, Y , Bach, E , Orhede, E . "Work environment and low back pain: The influence of occupational activities" Occupational and Environmental Medicine 54, 741-745, 1997