Arence Joy Adviento,
Maria Cielito Alina,
Shemmaey Pie Castro,
Maria Angelica Nepomuceno,
Alexis John Oquialda
College in Nursing - Our Lady of Fatima University
The purpose of this study was to increase the level of awareness of the mothers on the complications and preventive management who have undergone abortion.
The study was conducted in Metro Manila. It made use of descriptive research method using snowball sampling design. The researcher made a questionnaire and it was answered by the mothers who have experienced miscarriage or abortion. The respondents were gathered through referrals by friends or persons who know mothers who experienced miscarriage or abortion.
Data show that the ages of 25-29 and 30-34 are more likely to have a miscarriage or abortion. Single mothers are more likely to have a miscarriage or abortion. High school graduates are more likely to have a miscarriage or abortion. Women who earn below P10,000/month are more likely to undergo possibly be at risk to have an abortion. UTI ranked was ranked first because women are aware of this complication of abortion. In the preventive management women are highly aware of the said preventive measures.
This study aimed to determine the significance of preventive management of thirty women towards the complications of abortion. Purposely this study wanted to answer the following questions:
1. How may the profile of the respondent be described in terms of:
1.2 civil status,
1.3 educational attainment,
1.4 socio-economic status.
2. What is the level of awareness of the mothers on the complications of abortion?
3. What is the level of awareness on the preventive management of complications of abortion?
4. Is there a significant relationship in the level of awareness on the complication of abortion and the level of awareness on the preventive management of complications on mothers who have undergone abortion?
5. What recommendations can be formulated to increase the level of awareness on the complications of abortion?
2. Abortion Policies: A Global Review New York: United Nations, 1995. (Volume III)
4. Makinen, J. I., Erkkola, R. U., Laippala, P. J.. "Causes of the Increase in the Incidence of Ectopic Pregnancy. A Study on 1017 Patients From 1966 to 1985 in Turku, Finland" American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 160(3): 642-646, March 1989
5. Barrett, J. M., Boehm, F. H., Killam, A. P.. "Induced Abortion, A Risk Factor for Placenta Previa" American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 141, 769-772, December 1981
6. Guttmacher Institute, . "Parental involvement in minors' abortion" State Policies in Brief , 2010
7. Juarez, Fatima , Cabigon, Josefina , Singh, Susheela , Hussain, Rubina . "The Incidence of Induced Abortion in the Philippines: Current Level and Recent Trends" International Family Planning Perspectives
31(3): September 2005. Retrieved from: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3114005.html
9. Koster, Winny . Secret strategies: women and abortion in Yoruba society, Nigeria Amsterdam: Aksant, 2003.
10. DeCherney, Alan H.. Current diagnosis & treatment: obstetrics & gynecology New York: McGraw-Hill Medical, 2013.
12. Melbye, Mads , Wohlfart, Jan , Olsen, Jørgen H., Frisch, Morten , Westergaard, Tine , Helweg-Larsen, Karin , Andersen, Per Kragh . "Induced Abortion and the Risk of Breast Cancer" New England Journal of Medicine
336(2): 81-85, January 1997. Retrieved from: http://www.nejm.org/doi/abs/10.1056/NEJM199701093360201
13. Abdul, I. F., Anate, M. , Oganija, S. Y., Balogun, O. R., Fawole, A. A., Aboyeji, A. P.. "Public Awareness of Complications of Unsafe Abortions in Ilorin, Nigeria" Savannah Medical Journal
4(2): 20-23, July 2002. Retrieved from: http://www.unilorin.edu.ng/publications/balogunro/OA%20Public%20Awareness.pdf
14. Pillitteri, Adele . Maternal & child health nursing: care of the childbearing & childrearing family Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010.
15. Stevenson, M. M., Radcliffe, K. W.. "Preventing pelvic infection after abortion" International journal of STD & AIDS 6(5): 305-312, September 1995-October 1995
16. Taylor, V. M., Kramer, M. D., Vaughan, T. L., Peacock, S. . "Placental previa in relation to induced and spontaneous abortion: a population-based study" Obstetrics and gynecology 82(1): 88-91, July 1993
17. Hern, Warren . Abortion Practice Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1990.