Jomari Jezar S. Fresnoza,
Jules P. Delos Reyes,
Glozaree Mae C. Duran,
Judelyn D. Cueva,
Lizzelle G. Jalata,
Franz Louise A. Escalona,
Sharon B. Cajayon
College of Nursing - Our Lady of Fatima University
There is a continuous increasing number of elderly living in home for the aged institution. One reason to consider is poverty as well as inability of the relatives to tolerate the mood swings of the aged individual. In nursing, it studies care of the geriatrics, that is why it is effortless for nurses to intervene with such behavior of the elderly. Many researches emerged about geriatrics in a quantitative approach but few focuses on the feelings of the geriatric client. One factor that made our inquiry unique from the previous study inquiry is, the focus of the research not only on the feelings of being away from "real home" but also on what manner do nurses render care to them.
This study was conducted in selected institution in the Philippines and was participated by six (6) geriatric clients. Through utilization of audio record interview, researchers were able to group significant statements from the client and were able to make themes through cool and warm analyses.
Based on the interview and analysis that were made, researchers come up with five (5) minor themes. The first three (3) themes were a positive response from a client namely: (1) Gratified, (2) Gracious, and (3) Gladness. The two (2) remaining themes were negative response from a client namely: (4) Deprivative and (5) Detached. The emerged themes have made the researchers to conceptualize their own simulacrum: Geriatric's Rocking Chair of Life.
The study aimed to know the lived experience of geriatric clients living in the home for the aged institutions.
1. "Living Arrangements of the Elderly in the Philippines" , 2004
2. Baltes, M. M.. "Nursing home residents’ dependence and independence. " Journal of Clinical Nursing , 677-679, September 2004
3. Bookman, A. , Kimbrel, D. . "Families and Elder Care in the Twenty-First Century. " , 2010
4. Carlos, C. . "Concerns of the Elderly in the Philippines" , 56, 2000
5. Choi, G. , Territo, T. , Mills, F. . " Population projections for states by selected age groups and sex: 1995-2025" U. S. Census Bureau . , 2004
6. Courtney, M. , O’Reilly, M. , Edwards, H. , Hassall, S. . "The relationship between clinical outcomes and quality of life for residents of aged care facilities" Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing 26, 49-50, 2009
7. Dale, Saevareid B., Kirkevoid, H. I., Soderhamn, M. , Olle, . "Older home nursing patients’ perception of social provisions and received care. " Scandinavian journal of Caring Science 24(3): 523-532, 2010
8. Dhiman, , Satinder, . "Gift of Gratitude: Counting Our Blessings and Appreciating the Kindness of Others. " Business Renaissance Quarterly 4, 29-33, 2010
9. Eskildsen, M. , Price, . "Nursing Home care in the USA" Country of Publication 1, 1-6, 2009
10. Galon, M. M., Villar, F. R., Agcaoili, M. S., Ronquillo, K. G.. "PHILIPPINE COUNTRY REPORT:Community Services for the Elderly in the Philippines:A Collaboration of the Department of Social Welfare and Development and the Department of Health. " Department of Social Welfare and Development and the Department of Health. , 2007
11. Gamliel, T. , Hazan, H. . "The Meaning of Stigma: Identitiy Construction in Two Old-Age. Institutions. ." , 2006
12. Goffman, E. . Asylums: Essay on the Social Situation of Mental Patients and other Inmates. . Aldina Publishing Company. Chicago: 1961.
13. Kaiser, H. J.. "Fewer Elderly U.S. Residents Live In Nursing Homes, U.S. Census Reports." Medical News Today , October 2007
14. Koenig, H. , Lawson, D. . "Faith in the future: Healthcare, aging, and the role of religion. " Joumal of Gerontological Social Work 51, 3-4, 2008
15. Kraus, . "Journal of Gerontological Social Work " , 2002
16. Meiner, S. , Maddox, M. , Mad, H. E.. Gerontological Nursing (third ed.). Elsevier(Singapore) : Pte Ltd., 2007.
17. Moran, D. . "A study of Husserl's transcendental phenomenology" , 2005
18. Myburgh, H. . Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology. . Ageing as Pathology: The Institutionalized Production of Care, Time and the Elderly subjects in Stellenbosch Stellenbosch: Stellenbosch University., 2010.
19. Navalie-Waliser , . "Canadian Study of Health and Aging Working Group. " Joumal of Gerontological Social Work 42, 643-652, 2002
20. Netten, A. , Bebbington, A. , Darton, R. , Forder, J. . "Care Homes for Older People." Personal Social Service Research Unit. , 2001
21. Panno, J. . "Aging: Modern Theories and Therapies. In The new biology" Facts on File, Inc. , 2011
22. Robinson, L. , Segal, J. , White, M. . "Finding the best center you need. " Adult day care centers , 2010
23. Shu-Chuan, J. , Sing, K. L.. "Is rehabilitation associated with change in functional status among nursing home residents? " Journal of Nursing Care Quality 19, 58, 2004
24. Staling, K. D.. "The Historical Connection Between Golden Rule and The Second Greatest Love of Command" Journal of Religious Ethics 33(2): 357-371, June 2005
25. Stierle, L. J., Mezey, M. . "The Nurse Competence in Aging Initiative: Encouraging expertise in the care of older adults" America Journal in Nursing , 93-96, 2006
26. "The World Factbook" Central Intelligence Agency , July 2011