Mary Grace Herradura,
Art Paolo Molina,
Justine Vincent Ramos,
John Peter Paul Hanada,
College of Physical Therapy - Our Lady of Fatima University
Few studies regarding of stretching and resistance exercises with involvement of neck pain among office worker were presented. The purpose of this study is to correlate the effects of resistance and stretching exercise on neck pain and disability among office workers.
This study is a quantitative, quasi experimental, multiple time series design was used. The subjects were selected using a non-probability purposive sampling. A demographic sheet was used to gather person related factors. The Ovako Working Posture Analyzing System (OWAS) was used to measure task factors and Visual Scale Analog (VAS) was used to measure environment factors. Manual muscle testing (MMT) for muscle strength. The Neck Disability Index (NDI) was used to measure the neck pain and disability. Multiple linear regression (MLR) was used to identify the strongest predictor of NDI score and Independent T-test to test the hypothesis.
MLR analysis revealed that the strongest and statistically significant predictor of NDI was working years (r= .286; p=.009). Both stretching and strengthening exercises significantly reduced NDI scores, with the stretching showing better reduction than strengthening (p<.05).
Physical therapist can institute a work site exercise like strengthening or stretching to prevent and potentially reduce neck pain and disability especially among older office workers.
The purpose of this study is to correlate the effects of resistance and stretching exercise on neck pain and disability among office workers.
1. Zebis, M , Pedersen, M T, Roessler, K , Andersen, C H, Andersen, L L, Pedersen, M M, Feveile, H , et al, . "Protocol for Work place adjusted Intelligent physical exercise reducing Musculoskeletal pain in Shoulder and neck (VIMS): a cluster randomized controlled trial" BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 11(173): 1-8, 2010
2. Barr, A , Barbe, M . "Pathophysiological tissue changes associated with repetitive movement: a review of the evidence" Physical Therapy 82(2): 173–187, 2002
3. Ariëns, G , Bongers, P , Hoogendoorn, W , van der Wal, G , van Mechelen, W . "High physical and psychosocial load at work and sickness absence due to neck pain" Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health 28, 222-31, 2002
4. Barr, A , Safadi, F , Garvin, R , Popoff, S , Barbe, M . "Evidence of progressive tissue pathophysiology and motor behavior degradation in a rat model of work related musculoskeletal disease" Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting 44(30): 5-584-5-58, 2000
5. Burdorf, A , Koes, B . "Exercise proves effective in a systematic review of work-related complaints of the arm, neck, or shoulder" Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 60(2): 110–117, 2007
6. Cagnie, B , Danneels, L , Van Tiggelen, D , De Loose, V , Cambier, D . "Individual and work related risk factors for neck pain among office workers: a cross sectional study" European Spine Journal 16, 679-86, 2000
7. Chiu, T , Lam, T , Hedley, A . "A randomized controlled trial on the efficacy of exercise for patients with chronic neck pain" Spine 30(1): E1–7, 2005
8. Cleland, J , Childs, J , Whitman, J . "Psychometric properties of the Neck Disability Index and Numeric Pain Rating Scale in patients with mechanical neck pain" Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 89(1): 69–74, 2008
9. De Loose, V , Burnotte, F , Cagnie, B , Stevens, V , Van Tiggelen, D . "Prevalence and risk factors of neck pain in military office workers" Military Medicine 173, 474-9, 2008
10. Green, B . "A literature review of neck pain associated with computer use: public health implications" Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association 52, 161-7, 2008
11. Hains, F , Waalen, J , Mior, S . "Psychometric properties of the Neck Disability Index" Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 21(2): 75–80, 1998
12. Hush, M , Maher, G , Refshauge, M . "Risk factors for neck pain in office workers: A prospective study" BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 7(81): 1-5, 2006
13. Hush, J , Michaleff, Z , Maher, C , Refshauge, K . "Individual, physical and psychological risk factors for neck pain in Australian office workers: a 1-year longitudinal study" European Spine Journal 18, 1532-40, 2009
14. Kietrys, D , Galper, J , Verno, V . "Effects of at-work exercises on computer operators" Work (Reading, Mass.) 28(1): 67–75, 2007
15. Kisner, C , Colby, L . Therapeutic exercise: foundation and techniques Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Company, 2007. (5th ed. )
16. Korhonen, T . "Work related and individual predictors for incident neck pain among office employees working with video display units" Occupational and Environmental Medicine 60(7): 475–482, 2003
17. Law, M , Cooper, B , Strong, S , Stewart, D , Rigby, P , Letts, L . "The Person- Environment-Occupation Model: A transactive approach to occupational performance " Canadian Journal of Occupational Therapy 63(1): 9-23, 1996
18. Lee, H , Nicholson, L , Adams, R . "Cervical range of motion associations with subclinical neck pain" Spine 29(1): 33-40, 2004
19. Lee, H , Nicholson, L , Adams, R . "Neck muscle endurance, self-report, and range of motion data from subjects with treated and untreated neck pain" Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 28, 25-32, 2005
20. Linton, S , van Tulder, M . "Preventive interventions for back and neck pain problems: what is the evidence?" Spine 26, 78-87, 2001
21. Lundblad, I , Elert, J , Gerdle, B . "Randomised controlled trial of physiotherapy and Feldenkreis interventions in female workers with neckshoulder complaints" Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation 9, 179-94, 1999
22. MacDermid, J , Walton, D , Avery, S , Blanchard, A , Etruw, E , McAlpine, C , Goldsmith, C . "Measurement properties of the Neck Disability Index: a systematic review" Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 39(5): 400–417, 2009
23. Magee, D . Orthopedic physical assessment St. Louis, Mo.: Saunders Elsevier, 2008.
24. Main, C , Sullivan, M , Watson, P . Pain management: Practical applications of the biopsychosocial perspective in clinical and occupational settings. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2008.
25. Mueller, M , Maluf, K . "Tissue adaptation to physical stress: a proposed “Physical Stress Theory” to guide physical therapist practice, education, and research" Physical Therapy 82(4): 383–403, 2002
26. Muye, T , Gatchel, R , Polatin, P . Occupational Musculoskeletal Disorders, Function, Outcomes and Evidence Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Awolters Kluwer Company, 2003.
27. Randall, L , Ralph, M , Daniel, D , Erenst, W , Dennis, J , Mehrsheed, S . Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Philadelphia, PA: W. B. Saunders company , 2000.
28. Rocha, L , Glina, D , Marinho, M , Nakasato, D . "Risk factors for musculoskeletal symptoms among call center operators of a bank in São Paulo, Brazil." Industrial Health 43(4): 637–646, 2005
29. Schellingerhout, J , Heymans, M , Verhagen, A , De Vet, H , Koes, B , Terwee, C . "Measurement properties of translated versions of neck-specific questionnaires: a systematic review" BMC Medical Research Methodology 11(87): 1-14, 2011
30. Sihawong, R , Janwantanakul, P , Sitthipornvorakul, E , Pensri, P . "Exercise therapy for office workers with nonspecific neck pain: a systematic review" Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 34(1): 62–71, 2011
31. Tsauo, J , Lee, H , Hsu, J , Chen, C . "Physical exercise and health education for neck and shoulder complaints among sedentary workers" Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine 36, 253-7, 2004
32. Vernon, H , Mior, S . "The Neck Disability Index: a study of reliability and validity" Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 14(7): 409-15, 1991
33. Verhagen, A , Karels, C , Bierma-Zeinstra, S , Feleus, A , Dahaghin, S , Burdorf, A , Koes, B . "Exercise proves effective in a systematic review of work-related complaints of the arm, neck, or shoulder" Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 60(2): 110–117, 2007
34. Viikari-Juntura, E , Martikainen, R , Luukkonen, R , Mutanen, P , Takala, E , Riihimäki, H . "Longitudinal study on work related and individual risk factors affecting radiating neck pain" Occupational and Environmental Medicine 58(5): 345–352, 2001
35. Viljanen, M , Malmivaara , A , Uitti, J , Rinne, M , Palmroos, P , Laippala, P . "Effectiveness of dynamic muscle training, relaxation training, or ordinary activity for chronic neck pain: randomised controlled trial" British Medical Journal 327(7413): 475, 2003
36. Vogt, L , Segieth, C , Banzer , W , Himmelreich, H . "Movement behaviour in patients with chronic neck pain" Physiotherapy Research International 12(4): 206–212, 2007
37. Waersted, M , Hanvold, T , Veiersted, K . "Computer work and musculoskeletal disorders of the neck and upper extremity: a systematic review" BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 11(79): 1-15, 2010
38. Wilson, a . Effective management of musculoskeletal injury: A clinical ergonomics approach to prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2002.
39. Yahyaei, M . "Inter-examiner reliability of the mianual miuscle strength testing" Journal of Applied Sciences Research 2(12): 13134-1313, 2012
40. Ylinen, J , Takala, E , Nykänen, M , Häkkinen, A , Mälkiä, E , Pohjolainen, T , Karppi, S , et al, . "Active neck muscle training in the treatment of chronic neck pain in women: a randomized controlled trial" Journal of the American Medical Association 289(19): 2509–2516, 2003