College of Nursing, - Our Lady of Fatima University, Valenzuela City, Metro Manila, Philippines
What usually comes to mind when one hears the words "psychiatrically ill" or "mental health"? Many people might think of the stereotypical images of "crazy people" or of mental institutions. While this may be the case for many afflicted with mental illness, huge advancements have been made in the field of mental health therapies.
The conceptual framework of the study regarding the evaluation of the level of effectiveness of known therapeutic coping mechanisms for the psychiatrically ill patients and its remedial means of limiting incidence of anxieties is that the researchers would like to know the therapeutic coping mechanisms for psychiatrically ill patients to limit the incidence of anxieties.
The researchers will analyze the profile of the respondents in terms of age, gender, civil status, highest educational attainment, position/occupation and length of service. The researchers will then evaluate the level of effectiveness of the therapeutic coping mechanisms.
Psychiatric patients can struggle with poor skills in coping, communication, socialization, and self-expression that may result in dysfunctional behavioral, cognitive, and emotional responses by means of therapeutic music.
The coverage of the study is confined in evaluating the effectiveness of known therapeutic coping mechanisms for the psychiatrically ill patients and its remedial means of limiting incidence of anxieties. The researchers choose the health care providers, personnel and staff of Emmaus House of Apostolate located at Mololos City, Bulacan and San Juan De Dios Priory Hospice for the Brother of Mercy located at Bocaue, Bulacan to be the target respondents in the study
Based on the study the researchers concluded that the respondents in the study who are mostly health care providers assumed their duties and responsibilities in treating their psychiatrically ill patients by means of therapeutic coping mechanisms for the psychiatrically ill patients. Based on the answers of the respondents there are several coping mechanism for psychiatrically ill patients and its remedial means of limiting incidence of anxieties
1. Axelrod, J , Geismar , L , Ross, R . Families of Chronically Mentally Ill Patients: their Structure, Coping Resources, and Tolerance for Deviant BehaviorHealth and Social Work 19, 271-278, 2004
2. Brady, Noreen, RN, M, . “Psychiatric Nursing Made Incredibly EasyLibrary of the Congress Catalog in Publication Data; Copyright 2004
3. Freedman, Alfred M.,, , Kaplan, Harold, MD , Sado, Benjamin J., MD . Modern Synopsis of Comprehensive Textbook; Psychiatry; II Second Edition Copyright 1976
4. Frisch, Noreen Cavan, , Frisch, Lawrence . “Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing” 2nd Edition, Understanding the Client As Well As the Condition, Copyright 2005
5. Gorman, Jack M. . The Essential Guide to Mental Health: The Most Comprehensive Guide to the Psychiatry for Popular Family UseGriffith Trade Paperback 1998
6. Guarnaccia , PJ , Parra , P . Ethnicity, Social Status, and Families' Experiences of Caring for a Mentally ill Family MemberCommunity Mental Health Journal 32, 243-260, 2006
7. Hammen , C , Gitlin , M . Stress Reactivity in Bipolar Patients and its Relation to Prior History of DisorderAmerican Journal of Psychiatry 154, 856-857, 2007
8. Hammer , AL . The Coping Resources Inventory: Research EditionPalo Alto, Calif, Consulting Psychologists Press 2008
9. Hilty , DM , Brady, KT , Hales, RE . A Review of Bipolar Disorder Among AdultsPsychiatric Services 50, 201-213, 2009
10. Louis, Gottschalk A. M.D., Ph.D, Janny Fronczek, M.A , Lennart Abel, M.S. . Emotions, Defenses, Coping Mechanisms, and Symptoms2009
11. Miller, DC . “Handbook of Research Design and Social Measurement”, 5th ed. Newbury Park, Calif, Sage2001
12. Mohr, Wanda R . Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing” 6th Edition; copyright 2006
13. Mueser , KT , Valentiner , DP , Agresta , J . Coping with Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia: Patient and Family PerspectivesSchizophrenia Bulletin 23, 329-339, 2007
14. Rowe, MA . “The Impact of Internal and External Resources on Functional Outcomes in Chronic IllnessResearch in Nursing and Health 19, 485-497, 2006
15. Shiver, Louise Rebra, . Basic Concepts of PsychiatricMental Health Nursing Fifth Edition Copyright 2002
16. Stefos , G , Bauwens , F , Staner, L , , et al, . “Psychosocial Predictors of Major Affective Recurrences in Bipolar Disorder: a 4-year Longitudinal Study of Patients on Prophylactic Treatment"Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 93, 420-426, 2006